Plan for your pet with these tips.
What To Bring To The Shelter
Pets owners evacuating to an emergency shelter should bring a crate or carrier that’s large enough to accommodate the pet comfortably. Be sure you have a pet disaster preparedness kit prepared. This includes:
- 14-day supply of food and water in sealed containers
- Crate or carrier for each pet in which he can stand up and turn around in
- Leash and collar with up to date ID and license tags
- Bedding, towels and toys
- Food and water bowls; can opener
- Grooming supplies
- Cleaning supplies for crates and litter boxes
- Cat litter in sealed containers with litter pan
- Vaccine records and other paperwork
- Veterinary information
- Photographs of your pet
- Pet first aid kit
Pets need an ID tag, collar and a leash, as well as a two-week supply of the following: food, medications and litter for cats. You can download our disaster preparedness brochure for more information.
Oahu Pet-Friendly Shelters
In the event of a disaster, listen to radio and television broadcasts to find out if your nearest shelter will be open. Depending on the nature of the emergency, not all shelters may open.