How to Adopt at the Hawaiian Humane Society
- You can use our website or tour our campus during adoption hours to see all of the available animals.
- Once you find an animal you’re interested in, sign-in at the adoptions counter to learn more about your potential new family member. If you will be arriving prior to opening, the sign-in sheet will be made available at 9 am at the front entrance.
- An Adoptions Representative will introduce you to the animal and set up a meet-and-greet.
- If you’ve found he is the perfect fit for you and your family, let us know to begin the adoption process.
- If he’s not the right fit please let a staff member or volunteer know so you can continue to look for your new family member.
A few things to note:
- You want to ensure the pet is the right fit for your family. We recommend spending at least an hour on campus to allow enough time to get to know your potential new family member.
- We recommend bringing all members of the family, including all dogs, to meet your potential new pet – we want to make sure it’s a good fit for everyone. Some dogs may require a mandatory introduction with your resident dog and other dogs may be single-dog homes only. To ensure the safety of the animals in our care, meet-and-greets between dogs and cats or dogs and small animals are not allowed.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and have a current ID in order to adopt.
- The Hawaiian Humane Society has a retail store so you can go home with all the basic pet essentials.
Weekends: 10 am – 4 pm (and most holidays)
Monday through Friday: 11 am – 7 pm
Call 356-2218 for more information.
Home for the Howl-idays
This December, we’re trying to help as many animals as we can find new families just in time for the final holidays of the year. When you stop by to add a new member to your ohana, donate your adoption fee for a new furry friend(s)! Your gift will be doubled and go back to helping more animals in need. All gifts will be matched up to $65,000. This adoption special applies only at our Moiliili Campus.
“Sit, Stay and Save” with American Carpet One – December 7
The Hawaiian Humane Society is teaming up with American Carpet One to brighten up the holidays again by helping animals in need find new families to call their own. Visit American Carpet One’s Sand Island flagship store (302 Sand Island Access Rd, Honolulu, HI 96819) on Saturday, December 7, from 10 am to 2 pm, to meet some animals available for adoption. All animals will have waived adoption fees at this special event only.
View a PDF version of our December 2019 calendar.
Hawaiian Humane Society runs a non-profit adoptions center supported by donations. Oahu’s widest variety of dogs, cats and rabbits are available and include a spectrum of services: vaccinations, sterilization, free first visit to a participating veterinarian and a microchip. Vaccinations vary by species and many include: bordetella, distemper, hepatitis, para influenza, leptospirosis, and parvovirus.
There is no time limit on how long we’ll keep an animal. We do not place animals available for adoption on hold and frequently have puppies and kittens.
- 6 months & under: $125
- 7 months to 5 years: $85
- 6 years & older: $55 (fees waived for people 55+)
- $10 County dog license
- 6 months & under: $125
- 7 months to 1 year: $45
- 2 to 5 years: $10
- 6 years & older: Waived Adoption Fee
- Feline FIV/Leukemia Test (optional): $20
- Rabbits & Guinea Pigs: $20
- Varies for birds, fish and turtles