At its heart, the Hawaiian Humane Society is an advocacy organization. This commitment is spelled out in our mission: to promote the human-animal bond and the humane treatment of all animals. We pursue this mission through high-quality animal care, low-fee and no-fee spay/neuter services, community education and outreach, law enforcement and campaigning for laws that protect animals and support a pet-friendly community.
Many of the rules protecting animal welfare in Hawaiʻi are the result of advocacy by Hawaiian Humane and our indispensable army of community supporters. Recent successes include City & County funding for no-fee spay/neuter for Free-Roaming cats, mandating microchip identification for pet cats and dogs on Oʻahu, banning the importation of wild animals to the state for the purpose of performing in circuses or fairs and expediting the forfeiture of animals rescued from cruelty.
We need advocates who are willing to write letters, draft testimony and support current animal welfare initiatives. Call 808-356-2217 or email Advocacy@HawaiianHumane.org to get involved.
How to get started
- Sign up for our advocacy email list
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Familiarize yourself with County and State animal welfare laws
- Check out our 2024 Advocacy Initiatives
How to be an advocate
- To be kept informed about the current state and local efforts to improve our laws, sign up for our advocacy email list
- Learn about where Hawaiian Humane stands on various animal welfare issues
- Promote pet ID to every pet owner you know
- Encourage pet owners to spay/neuter animals
- Get your office or apartment building involved in a goods drive for shelter animals
Get the latest updates
To be kept informed of opportunities to testify regarding these bills, sign up for our advocacy email list.