We’ve changed many of our pet adoption and admissions services fees effective June 1. With these minor changes, we hope to:
– Simplify and standardize. A big focus at Hawaiian Humane is to make our services easier to access and use. This means things like an easier to navigate website (in the works), clearer signage, better phone service when you call in and much more. We’re doing the same by standardizing our adoption fees and tiering them in predictable increments by pet category.
– Cover costs of improved services. When a pet is adopted, we want that bond to last. We have added and continue to roll out services that support successful adoptions including more robust behavior evaluation, pre- and post-adoption support, additional health testing and a program designed to follow-up with and support adopters and their new pets. These are in addition to the considerable medical care that pets receive before adoption: spay/neuter, vaccinations, dental work and sometimes major surgery. Adoption fee increases are not large, and don’t cover all the costs associated with adoptions, but they do help.
In the end, our goal is to help pets be healthy, well-behaved and happy with their new adopted families, and we are continuing to look for better ways to make this happen.
Rallying to Protect Oʻahu’s Animals
Like so many others, the Hawaiian Humane Society has been dramatically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and the constantly changing reality we continue to face; however, we have also witnessed a rallying of the community like never before. Despite being faced with hardship, Oahu has stepped up to powerfully declare that our animals matter and we are truly grateful. Learn more in Anna Neubauer’s newest President & CEO’s message.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Precautions
We’re always so grateful for the many donations our community of supporters drops off at our shelter. Towels, sheets, newspapers and other supplies really help make our work possible. However, due to the potential spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), we would like to ask that, for the time being, you not drop off any gently used donations. We are still gratefully welcoming donations of unopened pet food and other new items. Our Amazon Smile wish list is also a great way to donate. Learn more about our precautionary adjustments to hours and programs due to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Pet Tips
It’s important to have a plan in place to protect your pets in the event you contract the COVID-19 virus. Here are some steps you can take:
– Identify a family member or friend who can care for your pet(s) if someone in the household should become ill.
– Have crates, food and extra supplies on hand for quick movement of pets.
– Keep all animal vaccines up to date in the event that temporary boarding becomes necessary.
– Ensure all medications are documented with dosages and administering directions. Including the prescription from your veterinarian is also helpful.
– Make sure that your pet has proper identification—a microchip with updated contact info and a collar with ID tag.
Click HERE for more information on our precautionary adjustments to hours and programs due to COVID-19.