No one should have to choose between a roof over their head or a pet. About 375,000 pets share our lives and about 60% of Oahu’s homes have one. The Hawaiian Humane Society’s Pets in Housing program works to increase the number of residences that allow pets.
Recent legislation now allows landlords to charge an additional pet deposit to renters. Read more here.
Policies that ban pets increase the numbers relinquished to shelters, limit the pool of qualified applicants, and unnecessarily penalize the majority of pet owners who are responsible.
- Pets in Housing Brochure
- Responsible Pet Owner
- Checklist for Landlords
- Tips for Tenants
- Pet Committee
- Pet Addendum to Rental Agreement
- Pet Application Registration Form
- Pet Health Report
- Common Pet Problems & Solutions
- Find a pet-friendly rental on craigslist.
- Honolulu Magazine reports on how to make pet owners appealing to potential landlords.
- State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Landlord-Tenant Hotline at 586-2634
- State of Hawaii Disabilities and Communication Access Board at 586-8121 for service animal info on the Fair Housing Act.
- Legal Aid Society of Hawaii at 536-4302.