Paws on the Path is Hawaiian Humane Society’s hiking club. We meet the last Saturday of every month so that community members and their pets can enjoy adventures on Oahu’s beautiful hiking trails. There’s no need to register, just arrive at the trail-head or designated parking lot at 8:00 a.m. on the morning of the hike.
For each hike, make sure to bring plenty of water for yourself and your dog and wear appropriate footwear (no slippers). We require all dogs stay on-leash during hikes to create a safe and fun experience for all of our hikers. In the event of severe weather conditions, remember to check the website or call 226-3872 for updates.
Day-of Hike Hotline: 226-3872
Makapuu Sunset Benefit Hike – Makapuu Lighthouse Trail
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Makapuu Sunset Benefit Hike has been rescheduled to Saturday, August 31, 2019! There will be no hike scheduled for Saturday, July 27, 2019.
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Location: Makapu’u Lighthouse Trail, Waimanalo, HI 96825
Hiking Time: 2 hours
Date: August 31, 2019
Meet at: 5:00 pm
Starts at: 5:30 pm
Hike Starts: 7:00 pm
Step out for the Hawaiian Humane Society’s 8th annual Makapuu Sunset Benefit Hike on Saturday, August 31, at 5:30 pm. This pet-friendly early evening hike features ocean views of East Oahu spanning Hawaii Kai to Waimanalo. This is a 2-mile hike up a paved, slightly steep trail. It has little to no shade so be sure to bring lots of water.
Directions From East (From Town):
- Take the H-1 East, which will eventually turn into Kalanianaole Highway (Route 72).
- Go past Hanauma Bay and Sandy Beach Park toward Hawaii Kai Golf Course.
- About a half-mile past the golf course, on the right, will be a gate blocking the trail entrance.
- Turn right into the parking lot.
- Take Kalanianaole Highway (Route 72) toward Waimanalo.
- Go past Sea Life Park, and continue about a quarter-mile.
- The trail, along with the parking lot, will appear on the left after the Makapuu Lookout. Turn left into the parking lot.
- Parking is limited. Carpooling is highly recommended.
Mark your calendars to join us on our next hikes:
|August||Makapuu Sunset Benefit Hike|
|September||Aiea Loop Trail|