The October schedule for Free-Roaming Cat Sterilization is now available. Due to the volume of sterilization surgeries each day, an appointment for Free-Roaming cat sterilization surgery is required. No walk-in appointments will be accepted; however, additional surgery appointments have been added to the schedule to accommodate the demand for surgeries. Please call 356-2200 between 8 am and 9 pm, seven days a week, to schedule an appointment. A maximum of three appointments per person, per week will be accepted.
Blackout dates for Free-Roaming Cat Sterilizations are October 3 and 28.
Hawaiian Humane Society supports responsible Trap-Neuter-Return-Manage (TNRM), a humane and effective long-term strategy to reduce the number of cats at large and improve their quality of life. Those caring for free-roaming cats are independent caregivers and not Humane Society volunteers. Free-Roaming cats are a diverse population that can include feral, abandoned, lost and owned pets that are allowed outdoors. Any outdoor cat may be someone’s lost cat and the owner may have filed a lost report or visited the Hawaiian Humane Society to look for her. Those who use the Humane Societies sterilization service are encouraged to seek landowner permission to care for cats.
When people trap, neuter and then return cats to their colonies, the population stabilizes and decreases as cats live out their natural lives without reproducing. As a result, millions of unwanted kittens have been spared from life on the streets. Learn more about using humane traps, which can be borrowed from the Hawaiian Humane Society.
Due to limited appointments, this service is for free-roaming cats, not owned pets. We encourage timely drop off and pick ups for this service as holding capacity is limited.
Spay/Neuter Service for Cats
- Review the Surgery Process Form instructions prior to arriving to the Admissions Center.
- Call the cat information line at 356-2254 for available surgery dates.
- Due to the volume of sterilization surgeries each day, an appointment for Free-Roaming cat sterilization surgery is required. Please call 356-2200 to schedule an appointment.
Spay/Neuter Guidelines for Cat Sterilizations
- Cats are highly recommended to be in a humane cat trap covered by a towel, which is greatly important to reduce the stress on these animals.
- All cats will have an ear notch for easy identification of outdoor sterilized cats.
- Cats must be dropped off between 10 pm the night before surgery and 8 am the day of surgery.
- Cats must be picked up 6 – 10 pm the day of surgery.
- Fees are due at the time of admittance.
- The Hawaiian Humane Society encourages timely drop off and pick up of animals using this service. As a high-volume shelter with limited space, it needs to be able to accommodate more than 70 animals that are arriving daily. We appreciate your understanding and support of our rules and procedures.
- If you are unable to pick up your cat, call our Admissions Department at 356-2285. Cats left unclaimed 24 hours after surgery will be admitted into the shelter as abandoned. Additional fees may apply.
$25 per cat includes a microchip.